Friday, April 13, 2012

Shooting models is like a box of chocolates

A few days ago I saw this post on one of the photographer blogs I am following. Frank Doorhof is one of those photographers you simply have to admire, if not for his work then certainly for what he already has achieved. I know by now that I will never even be able to stand in his shadow.

Having said that I was a bit disappointed by his post. I do agree on everything he says, yes you need a great model and yes a good MUA does wonders and having a stylist on site can make the difference between an ok shot and a brilliant shot. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of clarity on who is responsible for the shoot. He probably just forgot to mention it, but … the photographer is the director, he is responsible he has to have a vision, he has a clear view on what he wants to create, he is in the lead. I am sure Frank agrees and that he is in the lead when shooting.

Now is this the way I do it? Heck no, that’s just too much effort, as an amateur you are already happy that someone shows up, you’ve already spend a considerable amount of money on equipment and you are getting /expecting nothing in return. Nothing?? Well let’s be honest you are always hoping to spend a nice day surrounded by nice people which hopefully will result in some nice shots. But other than that, you are not expecting anything, so spending even more money would be … not acceptable (spouse pressure)

The way I approach shoots is definitely not the best way, but it is the only possible way for me. I don’t expect anything, I don’t ask for anything, I don’t plan anything. I just go with the flow, I work with what is available. I am heavily dependent on what the model gives me (styling and attitude) and what the MUA, if present, comes up with. Shooting models is like a box of chocolates, I never know what I am going to get. Sometimes I get lucky and end up with one of these delicious white chocolates with a nut inside and sometimes I don’t.

If you are planning to make a living out of it, follow the advice Frank gives you. If you are doing this just for fun, you are probably better of spending the money on equipment and a cold Duvel at shoot endings.

3 comments:

  1. Wait for the blogpost next week.... :D
    It's a series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Placed it online today for you :D (was scheduled for next week).

    ReplyDelete