Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Whitney - nd filter

The DOF helping hand. As we all know there are three parameters which determine the Depth Of Field.

Aperture
Distance to subject
focal distance

When working with models in studio you are sometimes limited in your options:

You can't shoot with full aperture, because your light source is to bright and your sync speed limits your shutterspeed, and yes you want to keep your light as close to your model as possible.
You can't sneek up on her because of lens distortion or minimal focus distance (although I love doing this, love those big noses).
using a longer lens is a good starting point, but it is just not enough

Your main problem is the amount of light coming out of your studio flashes, using nd fiters can help you out. There are nd filters which you can put in front of your flash or nd filters you can put on your lens. I chose the latter. By using the nd filter I was able to open up my aperture, delivering me a nice DOF.

I only took a couple of test shots, did not want to waste to much time on it, but was pretty pleased with the result. Next time I'll spend some more time experimenting with the nd filter.



Thank you Whitney to let me have a shot on this setup, I know you had to have a lot of patience with me, but hopefully you will be pleased with the result, a lot of pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment