Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Light modifiers

Why light modifiers?

Why would I like to tell you something about light modifiers, aren't light modifiers obvious? At the moment they are to me (almost) but they were not always obvious.

A couple of days ago I got the question: Which studio set should I buy as a starting photographer? To be honest I did not have a ready-made answer. Of course I could have send her a link to one of the starter sets out there. But having been there, I would not recommend it any longer.

Buy the best set you can afford. Don't worry to much about the money. If photography doesn't turn out to be your thing after all, you will still get good money selling your gear on the second hand market.

What could have helped me a lot, and saving me a lot of money in the process, would have been an overview of available light modifiers and how they can dramatically change the outcome of your photo. Although the flash heads themselves are important I do believe however light modifiers will change the way you look at studio photography.

So the next posts will cover the different light modifiers I have been using, hopefully these post can help people make the right choise when standing at servix not knowing what to choose. You can't buy them all, they are way to expensive ;)


The maxi spot reflector

Let us start off with a modifier I personally do not own, the  maxi spot reflector. I was able to use it thanks to Luc Grobben who invited me on one of his test shoots. This reflector will cast some 'interesting' shadows. I have to admit that I still need to practice a little bit more, before I will start liking it.



When used with a grid and I recommend buying the grid straight away, you will get the following results. As said before, shadows all over the place. Vignetting, light fall off at the lower part of the body, shadows at the right hand side, face and body (that is when you place your light at the left hand side ;) )






If these are the kind of photos you are hoping to shoot, then the maxi spot reflector is your tool. Keep in mind though that these kind of photo's are not easy to commercialize. They have more their place in the art world.

Before I forget, a special thanks to Ellen, who was so kind to let me drop in to have a couple of shots. Thank you very much Ellen, I hope to see you again some time soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment