Monday, September 3, 2012

USB drive gone bad

And yet again a non photography related post. I'll try not to make a habit out of it.

Yesterday I was copying some stuff onto my USB drive when all of the sudden it stop and told me the drive was write protected ???? WTF !!!

First I tried to format it, but windows would not let me, because ... well you know ... the drive is write protected (windows is consistent, you have to give them that much credit)

So I started googling, read a lot of stuff about installing tools (probably full of spyware and other unwanted stuff) which could fix the problem or others telling me to modify the registry using regedit. I did not take the time to try these things out since most people who did try ended up with a USB stick which was still not writable.

After an hour or so I stumbled upon a useful blog, explaining what could be the problem, Some hidden program on the USB drive  was probably responsible for the problem, this program is always launched at start-up. making the USB drive write protected.

The simple trick is to prevent windows from launching the program at start-up. And sometimes things can be easy. Insert the stick while holding down the shift key. The USB drive will be recognized and no programs will be started. In my case, the USB drive was no longer write protected. I was able to format it without a problem. Of course this might not work for all of you, but it did work for me :)

Next post will be about photography again, I promiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment