Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brenizer and cows

This weekend I stumbled upon fstoppers.com. It's more or less the photographers heaven, so much information all combined in one site. Thanks guys for the wonderful site, I'll be checking it out on a regular basis.

One of the articles I was most interested about, was the one about the Brenizer effect. This article explains how you can create a wide angle picture and still preserve a shallow depth of field, something which is not possible to achieve with any wide angle lens. What Brenizer  basically does is: Create multiple pictures with a portrait lens (50mm - 85 mm) and stitch those pictures together to get a wide angle picture.

Wanting to try out this technique as soon as possible, but being short of models, I decided to go into the wild :). A couple of weeks ago a number of cows have been set loose in our backyard. So I figured why not shoot the cow.

It turned out to be a little bit more challenging than I anticipated. The cows did not listen, what ever I did, they came in to close. But in the end I did get something which was more or less acceptable. Not quite the result I was hoping for, I guess a little bit more practice will be needed. Next time I will try this out with a more intelligible model :)

Getting to know the cow, Tip (for the city people out there): I figured this one out by accident, walk into some cow manure, go sit somewhere comfortable and wait until the cows approach you. They will come to you and lick the manure of your shoe. Well done, you just bonded with a cow.



Making your first shots, letting them get used to the camera.



Go for the final result, the next picture are actually three pictures stitched together. As I said before, not the best result. I should have created a bit more distance between me and the cow, but she was so fond of me that she kept following me.



Just one more thing, be careful. Cows may look stupid, they also weigh 700kg, you do not want to mess with their feelings. Be gentle, tell them nice things, like how wonderful they look, how great they are as a model, the best you have ever worked with and stuff like that you know what I am talking about.

I'll definitely will be trying out this technique again in the future, hopefully with some better results.

1 comment: